Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Today is the Day - Unreleased Demos and Live Set



I'm asked quite a bit about my involvement in Today is the Day, so here it is. I first joined Today is the Day in March of 2005, and within a week of my first phone conversation with Steve Austin I was on a bus to Massachusetts to drum in one of my all time favorite bands. I played a handful of U.S. dates with them, including one of the last shows at CBGB's, we were slated to play Hellfest 2005 (which was cancelled I think the day before), and I did about a 2 week European tour hitting 7 different countries. I recorded a 4 song demo (and helped write 2 other songs) for what ended up being their 8th full length "Axis of Eden". I quit the band in November of that year (this is all documented on Lambgoat by the way) because of some personal differences between Steve and I, and more so that TITD was getting in the way of me doing Harlots, which was my baby. They ended up hiring Derek Roddy to play on "Axis of Eden" and I lost touch with Steve until April of 2008 when they came through Milwaukee on their Total Resistance tour. Steve got in touch with me and asked me if I would want to tour with the band again and possibly do a new record, and I immediately said yes seeing as how Harlots was breaking up and the Shai Hulud tour I was just on went to complete shit. I was set to do a tour with Today is the Day in November 2008 playing "Axis of Eden" in it's entirety to a movie, but things didn't work out and they ended up hiring the drummer from Four Question Marks to do the tour. It was a really weird experience relearning songs that I had written with the band, but playing Derek's parts over them. Derek Roddy is a much better drummer than I, but I always felt that I fit the Today is the Day sound more than he did. Regardless of some of the drama that took place, Steve Austin is and has been a great friend over the years. For those who have never heard Today is the Day, well go download the records "In the Eyes of God" (featuring 2/3 of Mastodon), "Temple of the Morning Star", and "Willpower". This band has influenced my drumming and guitar playing more than probably any other band.

Today is the Day - Demo 2005

Instrumental 4 song demo recorded during May of 2005 in Lunenburg, MA.
Steve Austin - Guitar, Chris Debari - Bass, Jeff Lohrber - Drums.

1. Axis of Eden
2. IED
3. No Lung Baby
4. Free at Last

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OPDTLJXA


Today is the Day - Demo 2008

A live demo that we recorded in September 2008 in Nashville, TN in preparations for the "Axis of Eden" movie tour. Features 3 new songs as well as the entire "Axis of Eden" record.
Steve Austin - Vocals/Guitar, John Judkins - Bass, Jeff Lohrber - Drums.

1. Untitled 1
2. Untitled 2
3. Untitled 3
4. IED
5. Free at Last
6. Broken Promises and Dead Dreams
7. If You Want Peace, Prepare for War
8. No Lung Baby / Black Steyr Aug / My Wish Is Your Command
9. Circus Maximus
10. Total Resistance
11. The Worst Thing That Ever Happened to Me
12. Axis of Eden
13. Pinnacle
14. Mother's Ruin
15. The Color of Psychic Power

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VXMVRZDX


Today is the Day - Live in Allston MA 5/29/05

This is a pretty rough recording from a show on a Monday night @ O'Briens in Allston MA. I found this on Soulseek randomly and said to myself "Fuck! I played that show!". I remember going down to Allston to Great Scott the night before with Chris Debari to see Jarboe, then we drove back to Westborough and went to work at 7AM, got off work around 4, drove to Steve's to load the van and went right back to O'Briens to play. I think I slept about 6-8 hours in a 48 hour period of time, totally fucking worth it, but this recording definately shows. About a week later we played Emissions from the Monolith fest in Youngstown Ohio with Eyehategod and Pig Destroyer.
Steve Austin - Guitar/Vocals, Chris Debari - Bass, Jeff Lohrber - Drums, Aaron Kotilinen - Keyboards.

1. Why They Hate Us / Maggots and Riots
2. In the Eyes of God
3. The Man Who Loves to Hurt Himself
4. The Color of Psychic Power
5. Mother's Ruin
6. Axis of Eden
7. Spotting a Unicorn
8. Possession
9. IED
10. Criminal
11. Crutch / Pinnacle
12. Sadness Will Prevail
13. No Lung Baby
14. The Descent
15. The Descent (cont.)
16. Temple of the Morning Star
17. Kiss the Pig

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0FPIUQV9

No comments:

Post a Comment