Monday, January 25, 2010

Dead Blue Sky - Unreleased Live 10", Symptoms of an Unwanted Emotion, and the 7"

Dead Blue Sky is one of the bands that I have my first memories of seeing live. They were never really that popular in the states, seeing as how they only went on one European tour and a handful of shows in the states, and Goodlife Recordings (from Belgium) distro in the states has always kind of sucked. These guys like all bands that came from Dayton Ohio were plagued with lineup problems from day one. Dead Blue Sky (at one point or another) shared members with Twelve Tribes, Rune, and Morning Again, and members of this band went on to play in Mouth of the Architect, Struck By Lightning, and Joshua Conway does singer/songwriter acoustic stuff now. I'm not sure quite how to describe them if you've never heard them, maybe picture Cradle of Filth's "Cruelty and the Beast" record meets Shai Hulud's "That Within Blood Ill Tempered", with a touch of Zao "Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest".

Photobucket
This is a live 10" that was supposed to come out on a label from Italy but was never released, plus one new song they recorded that never got vocals on it. I think this live recording is way better than the full length, and the instrumental song is probably one of the best pieces of music that I've ever heard, such a shame it was never finished and released. Lineup: Andy Dwyer - Vocals, Joshua Conway - guitar, Aaron Hiser - guitar, Kevin Schindel - bass, Dave Mann - drums, Gregory Lahm - keyboards.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmhzmwnylde

Photobucket
This is the full length that came out in 2001 on Goodlife Recordings. I have so many good memories listening to this record, but I've always felt that the production was a little weird. I always loved how unpredictably awesome Alex's drumming was, and unfortunately this is the only documentation I have of that. Lineup: Andy Dwyer - Vocals, Joshua Conway - guitar, Aaron Hiser - guitar, Kevin Schindel - bass, Alex Vernon - drums, Matt Mellinger - keyboards.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dcgmz5mujdt

Photobucket
This is their first 7" that Goodlife put out in 1998. It hasn't really stood the test of time, but again I remember seeing them back in the day and it was fucking awesome. This had 2 members of Morning Again on it, who I also loved back in the day. You might have been able to find this on Soulseek and other places, but this is taken from the master, and not a vinyl rip, so it sounds better. I've heard that the band never wanted this released, and that Goodlife just put it out because of how well Morning Again was doing in Europe. Lineup: Chris Scherrer - vocals, Joshua Conway - guitar, Aaron Hiser - guitar, Kevin Byers - bass, Matt Thomas - drums.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dg4iw3mzii2

2 comments:

  1. Great post, i've been told Deafheaven "ape" these guys, and are one of my favourite bands, hence why I'm here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, i've been told Deafheaven "ape" these guys, and are one of my favourite bands, hence why I'm here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete